The aim of the Coalition to Prevent VTE is to reduce the burden and occurrence of VTE by raising VTE awareness and promoting educational programmes and healthcare initiatives among healthcare professionals from the various medical specialties that encounter patients at risk of VTE.
The Coalition intends to inform a broad medical audience about its educational programmes and healthcare initiatives and to educate the public about the significant risk of complications and long-term consequences of VTE.
- To educate healthcare students and workers, as well as the public about VTE
- To undertake research on VTE and disseminate the results
- To raise awareness about the various methods of primary and secondary prevention of VTE and its related morbidity and mortality
- To present the issues and evidence-based therapy in the known comorbid areas, such as cardiology (heart failure), oncology, respiratory disease (COPD), internal medicine, infectious disease, surgery, and obstetrics and gynaecology
To achieve its aim, the Coalition to Prevent VTE has set several major objectives
- To disseminate information about the risk of VTE in patients who suffer from certain diseases (e.g., heart failure, respiratory failure, cancer, severe infections) or who undergo certain surgeries
- To educate healthcare professionals about the need to optimize VTE prevention for their patients
- To share evidence of various methods for identifying patients at risk and providing appropriate prevention
- To collaborate with existing medical societies in order to develop initiatives to raise VTE awareness and risk-assessment and prophylaxis tools, and to promote guideline adoption